I have noticed a couple of hits on my site searching for how to display video with Live Meeting 2005. It is not obvious how to embed video within Live Meeting 2005, so I figured I should write up how it’s done.
Live Meeting 2005 Console Displaying Web Slide with Embedded Video
There are quite a few factors to consider when thinking about displaying video during your Live Meeting such as the bandwidth of your clients, the capacity of your server hosting the media, and does the content really add value? To embed a video, you will need to take the following steps:
- Create Video Content
- Create an HTML Page to Embed the Video Content
- Host the Media Content on a Server
- Display the HTML page during the Live Meeting
Let’s look at each step a bit more in depth.
1 – Create or obtain video content
Questions that need to be addressed:
- What is the media file size?
- How many concurrent participants do you expect to have during the Live Meeting Session can your servers and bandwidth handle this?
- Do you have a server to host this content?
- Will the participants have access to the player to view the video format?
2 – Create an HTML page to embed the video content
You will need to code an HTML page to embed the video content. The page should be a neutral color so it does not distract or compete with the video. This page will be loaded in Live Meeting and is used to display the embedded video.
There are a variety of methods for embedding video into a web page – here is sample code of embedding video to display a Windows Media video:
<OBJECT ID=”MediaPlayer” WIDTH=”320″ HEIGHT=”240″ CLASSID=”CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95″ TYPE=”application/x-oleobject”>
<PARAM NAME=”FileName” VALUE=”http://<Path_to_Media>/media.wmv“>
<PARAM NAME=”autostart” VALUE=”1″>
<PARAM NAME=”showcontrols” VALUE=”0″>
3 – Host the Media Content on a Server
Issues to consider:
- The media content will need to be stored on a server that is accessible to all participants of the meeting.
- The server will need the capacity to stream the media content to all participants.
- Ensure all participants have permission to access the directory of the video.
4 – Display the HTML page during the Live Meeting
A web slide will need to be created for use during the Live Meeting. To add a web slide as content to the Live Meeting complete the following steps:
Use the Live Meeting Console and bring up the Live Meeting event that will display the video.
Click Share and then click Web Slide. The New Web Side window will be displayed.
Enter the URL of the website to display during the meeting.
Click Verify Web Slide.
Verify that the website shown in the Web Slide Safety Check window is correct.
Click Create Web Slide.
During the Meeting select the web slide as the active content to initiate viewing of the video.
You now know what steps need to get done to display video in your Live Meeting 2005 console. Using these guidelines you will be able to add video to your Live Meeting 2005 presentation.