The Windows Live Writer Team has announced that Windows Live Writer Beta 3 is now available.
I am a huge fan of Windows Live Writer, and the program is better with each release. I am using the Beta 3 to blog this post. The interface appears to be the same. See the screen shot below of the updated program:
Some highlights, and my comments of this release:
- Insert videos, from the web or Soapbox using the new ‘Insert Video’ dialog – the question is will this work with WordPress, or will you still need to use the Embed Video for WordPress from Scøtt of Scottisafooldev?
- Upload images to Picasaweb when publishing to your Blogger blog – this appears to be specific to Blogger, I post to WordPress.
- Publish XHTML-style markup
- Use Writer in 28 additional languages – still in English . . . Yay. This will allow other languages to enjoy the wonder that is WLW.
- Print your posts – this would have come in handy when I printed a post about Wishing my Friend well, so she could see the post and the comments. At least it would have cleanly printed the post.
- Justify-align post text – there have been times in posts past I could have used this.
- Better image handling (fewer blurry images) – I don’t remember having any issues with my previous images.
- Resolved installation issues from last release – some people encountered a few problems trying to install Beta 2, it is good to hear that these issues were addressed.
- Many other bug fixes and enhancements – as of late I have been receiving some unable to post errors, or unable to communicate with server errors, and yet sometimes the post is still uploaded. I am hoping these issues have been addressed.
As I mentioned I am a fan of Windows Live Writer, and think the program includes great functionality. The best part is . . . it is free! I have tried to use other blog writers, without the success and stability I have had using Windows Live Writer. The other post writing programs I used had a nominal fee. I would have been happy to buy one of those other programs, had they actually worked as I needed them too. I have also tried:
- RocketPost, not once, but twice, and encountered program failures both times.
- BlogJet – I gave it a shot, but wasn’t impressed enough to leave WLW.
Thanks to Robert Scoble for the heads up, I noticed he snuck this in at the bottom of one of his posts.