Microsoft recently announced Live Meeting 2007 an update to online collaboration tool Live Meeting 2005. This new release includes a major revision of the interface as well as new features and functionality. The following is a quick list of what’s new for Live Meeting 2007.
- Updated Interface – The content viewing area is maximized by not initially displaying panes in the console.
- Improved Navigation – The interface is easier to navigate, less menus to go through to get the panes and options you want.
- Handout and Shared Notes – The ability to upload handouts for attendees to download later, and shared notes that all participants can use to take notes.
- VoIP – Computer Audio will be done using VoIP.
- Presenter Video – The ability to display webcam video of the presenters.
- Multimedia Content – Multimedia content can be uploaded like any other content, and played back directly in the console.
- New Recording Format – A new recording format that allows for more dynamic playback of the presentation.
- Breakout Rooms – Ability to separate main meeting into smaller breakout rooms sessions. All attendees will be presenters in their own breakout rooms.
The following screen shot is an example of content displayed in the interface. By default no panes are displayed to maximize viewing area. Panes are easily accessed at the top of the console. In the upper right is the command bar which allows for quick access to items such as hand outs, shared notes and feedback.
The above screen shot is the default interface. No panes are displayed to maximize viewing area. Panes can be opened an docked in the console.
Below is an example of the console with panes opened and docked, while content being displayed. I have panes opened on the left, right and bottom area. Panes can be opened and dock in any one of these areas. The screen shot below displays the following:
- Left docking area – Voice & Video pane displaying presenter video.
- Bottom docking area- Attendee pane displaying the list of attendees.
- Right docking area – Q&A pane for management of questions and answers during the event.
This gives you a quick preview of Live Meeting 2007. Over the next coming weeks, I will dig deeper into some of the new features and functionality.
You can see by these initial screen shots that there are some great changes coming!